An Arctic Front Sweeps Through Minnesota and Rookies Excite Across the Border

(12/17/2019)

Team Arctic Continues Winning Ways in USXC and National Snocross

AC Social Post

In June, Team Arctic posted to social media they were going to be racing this winter and would continue their winning ways. If you were one of the naysayers, break out a big spoon to eat your humble pie, because Team Arctic did some winning this weekend.

Wes Selby

Cross-country racers kicked off the weekend at USXC’s Pine Lake venue. Team green showed speed, handling and racer talent starting with #15 Wes Selby winning the Pro Open class by a healthy margin.

Selby laughed when saying, “This Pro Open Pine Lake win is one to remember! Talk about overcoming adversity. The evening before the race, I went out with Zach to compare speeds in a drag race before loading the trailer. I was really happy with how the sled performed until I got to the end of the run and realized I just grenaded the chain / belt drive case. (Laughs out loud) “I went back to the race shop and rebuilt the entire drive line, finishing about 1 a.m. I got home and couldn’t sleep. Sleepless, Race day morning ran the parade lap and sled felt real good, maybe too good as I burnt a piston in the qualifier, rebuilt the motor with lots of help finishing just as they started to call sleds to staging, I started at the back of the field and after the first lap worked my way up to third, then passed the top three and held the lead until the end. That ZR worked flawlessly. Don’t ever give up kids!”

Semi Pro 600 Stock

When the checkered flags dropped for the Semi-Pro and Pro Stock 600 classes on Sunday, Team Arctic had swept both classes. Hometown Semi-Pro racer, Gunner Arlaud won, followed by Dustin Schwandt and Dylan Stevens. In Pro, Chad Lian stood on top the box followed by Zach Herfindahl and Wes Selby.

Pro Stock 600

Team Arctic’s race manager, Mike Kloety said, “I couldn’t be prouder of our top-notch Team Arctic results this weekend. The sweep of Semi-Pro and Pro 600 stock classes is a true testament to how talented our racers are, and how well our ZR’s perform.”

Jacob Yurk

On the other side of the border in North Dakota, the Fargo National Snocross took shape and Team Arctic represented on the podium with some familiar names, but in new classes. In the Pro class, Pro rookie Jacob Yurk, from Zandstra Motorsports, led the points championship after being the number one qualifier and finishing a strong 2nd in Friday’s final. Jacob wowed again with a third-place podium after Sunday’s Duluth Round 1 makeup race, leaving Yurk third in Pro points standings.

Andy Pake

Theo Poirier

Team Arctic Rookies continued to open eyes in the Pro Lite class. Andy Pake of Christian Brothers Racing finished third in Friday’s final and Woodie’s Racing, Theo Poirier third on Saturday. Both racers looked incredibly strong and should be ones to watch at the next round at Canterbury.

Raycer Frank

In the Sport Lite class, two names appeared as second verse same as the first. Raycer Frank stood atop the podium after winning the Friday and Sunday rounds while his Team Arctic teammate, Matt Lamourea finished third in both finals respectively.

Kloety commented, “Our racers really put on a performance this weekend in snocross for the Arctic Cat faithful. Their hard work, grit and determination is paying off, and I look forward to more great results this season.”

Team Arctic racing resumes for USXC January 18-19 at the Park Rapids Heartland 200 and January 3-5 for National Snocross at Canterbury in Shakopee, MN.

Dulpher says:
12/17/2019 7:25:00 AM

I’m happy to see and hear these results! The back story on Selby’s Pro Open win was fantastic! I think most of us woulda gave up, but that’s why winners win. Thanks for great reminder Wes. Keep it up Team Arctic!
Paul L. says:
12/17/2019 7:46:00 AM

Congrats Team Arctic! I followed the snocross on Livestream. After watching the weekend unfold, it felt to me (IMO) that across the board, a changing of the guard took place in all classes. When I thought about it further, it was really refreshing and I feel all the changes breathed some new life into National snocross. Rookies were on the podium. Seasoned vets you thought would be up front weren't. Riders switching to different teams and brands. And then of course wondering what would happen to Team Arctic, and they pull out of the weekend with success and new surprises! To me, it was the best weekend of watching snocross since Tucker has left.
Zippy says:
12/17/2019 7:56:00 AM

I agree with you Paul! I also think before long we'll need subtitles on the bottom of the livestream just to understand the interviews from French and Finnish speaking racers. LOL
I Bleed Green! says:
12/17/2019 8:40:00 AM

Actually, the "Fargo" SX was held just east of Glyndon, MN. So technically the races were all in MN. Anyway, it's nice to see good competition from Arctic even after all the cutbacks to the program and naysayers saying Arctic was dead in the water. Go TEAM ARCTIC!
Derek says:
12/17/2019 11:20:00 AM

After watching the livestream event, AC let go of a lot of talented drivers, but I see new talented drivers are on the rise. Good on Yurk to place and finish well. I see #43 had a not bad weekend as well. But since he is the now elder statesman, he needs to step it up. Congrats to all AC drivers in sx

Due to the very very low weather visibility via live stream, I stopped watching the event. Also big congrats to Team Arctic in the cross country races. Team Arctic rules the cross country events.
Ken says:
12/18/2019 6:10:00 AM

Congratulations to every Cat driver and Cat team out there! You guys and gals were all great over the weekend. It's sad to see that not as many Cats are in the line up but the ones there are showing us all that Cat is still to be reckoned with. Thank you for all of your hard work and success!
Bill Nemanis says:
12/18/2019 11:32:00 AM

Congradulations to all the team Arctic drivers and crews. After seeing these cross country and snowcross results combined with the good showing of the Arctic Cat sleds at the shootout in New York, I'm convinced that the Cat is back!