Brian Nelson Rides his '79 Cross-Country

(12/11/2010)

Brian Nelson and I put 55 miles on two of his three '79 Arctic Cat el tigre Cross-Country sleds, pounding the ditches near his shop in Spicer, Minn.

Two things: Brian still FLIES, and so does the '79 CC tiger. I wish I had video of 15-minute portion of this ride, during which we were seriously raging at race-pace. Alas... the best moments ALWAYS happen when the camera can't be rolling.

Todd Ulschmid says:
12/11/2010 12:29:00 PM

Oh man! This is so flip'in awesome! I can't believe how sweet those Eltigre's look, sound, perform! GREAT JOB!
Now, go gett'em!
Nike says:
12/11/2010 12:42:00 PM

Good thing there isn't a deere insider.com hehe battle royal!
Paul File (danzig) says:
12/11/2010 5:24:00 PM

Well...I think he picked up where he left off....wow.

I would say the competition is dead meat....

Awesome vid and thank you for sharing it!!

Great Job !!!!!!
Darrell Eve says:
12/12/2010 10:34:00 AM

Looking really good! Thanks for sharing your racing spirit with all of us. Wishing you guys the best of luck in the big race! D.
Jesse L. says:
12/12/2010 2:34:00 PM

Thats awesome. Those CC Tigers look nice. Id be willing to bet the "majority" of riders out there, dont ride that fast, so it begs the question, does everyone really need 160hp and a stinkload of suspension? I doubt it.
Tom Rowland says:
12/12/2010 6:27:00 PM

Those are two really fine looking Cross Countrys. John...the build progress must have really picked up after you stopped drilling holes in the heat exchangers.
Greg Bish says:
12/12/2010 7:31:00 PM

Great job on the sleds Brian.Go kick some ass!!
Todd Ulschmid says:
12/13/2010 12:18:00 PM

John, One more thing.... Brian's ability to fly down the ditch line with that tiger is pretty awesome but, you're ability to film while riding down the shoulder of the road is pretty incredible in itself!! Helmet cam? I didn't notice you were on a sled while filming until almost the end of the video and you can see part of the windshield on your sled! Sweet!
12/13/2010 12:30:00 PM

Tom: the progress was made by Brian, not me. I'm more of a hindrance, especially with a drill in my hand. Todd: I had my Canon Powershot point-and-shoot in my left hand, while running throttle/steering with my right. Let's just say that I wasn't exactly following the rules.
Captain says:
12/13/2010 1:05:00 PM

John, you are going to have to replace those carbides! LOL Beautiful machines. I am not too familiar with these machines, but what are those dials on the side of the tunnel in the back? I see a spring or something there too???
Josh Peterson says:
12/13/2010 4:02:00 PM

Looks like HWY 71 south from belgrade. Brian sure can ride. Pretty fun ditch.
Plueddeman says:
12/13/2010 4:08:00 PM

Until the very end of the video, I figured the camera was in a car or truck! So how was the riding experience on this sled compared to something late-model?
Plueddeman says:
12/13/2010 4:10:00 PM

also...are those FOX shocks on the rear? Was it hard to find a modern shock to replace the OEM units?
Mike F says:
12/14/2010 9:23:00 AM

John, Did you have a set of the "Hallstrom Special" 1 inch thick carbide wear bars installed for your non "ditch banging" and freestyling ride?
Gerry Osendorf says:
12/26/2010 6:33:00 PM

rEALLY COOL VIDEO. I haven't ridden with Brian since Togwotee a few years ago.Great talent, very good businessman and a GREAT ambassador for Arctic Cat.
Gerry
JOHN ZEGLIN says:
1/21/2011 12:11:00 AM

Hey Brian, Still looking like the Champion we all remember. Good luck with the racing and we hope to see you back at the Waconia Ride-In someday. What a great job you did for all our guests last year at our celebration of John Deere Cross Country racing.
John Coneybeare says:
2/5/2011 9:27:00 PM

I bought one of these CCTigres new 32 years ago and still own it today. Raced it locally. Still love that sled. Your video gives the idea to do it again awsome video. Also have a restored 77 CC.