Flashback: Jan. 17, 2010. The Day Ekre (Could Have) Won the I-500

(9/24/2018)

Team Arctic Cat's DJ Ekre, 2010 USCC I-500, photo by ArcticInsider.com

Who: DJ Ekre

What: Day 3 of the 2010 USCC I-500 cross-country.

When: January 17, 2010.

Where: One mile from the first fuel stop just outside of Goodridge, Minnesota

One of the best cross-country racers of the era, Ekre was on the cusp of what would have been his first-ever win in the I-500 XC. He led after day one, and again after day two. Heading into the first of two fuel stops on the final day, Ekre’s lead was several minutes. But his date with destiny would soon unravel, in the form of track failure.

In a cruel twist of fate, the Ripsaw track on Ekre’s sled ripped lengthwise in two areas,effectively ending his race at the halfway point of the final day. The same fate befell his teammates Cory Davis, Ryan Simons and Chad Kyllo.

It was a heartbreaking end to Ekre’s I-500, a race that he was never able to claim during an otherwise storied career.

Mike Feil says:
9/24/2018 6:19:00 PM

A really bad day....thank god Dan Ebert was there. Still makes me sad...he earned that.
Brian H. says:
9/25/2018 5:41:00 AM

I remember that and still wonder if anyone figured out why it happened. Due to my intense hatred of the Quiet Drive lugs, I suspected they were the culprit. I wonder if the factory guys ran a different track in 2011. (I had a 2011 SnoPro XC and I'm pretty sure it had the same track.)
mark says:
9/25/2018 11:27:00 AM

I wonder how many miles Eberts track would have lasted?
Gord MacDonald says:
9/25/2018 3:51:00 PM

Word in the casino was Ebert was running a different track than the rest of them Team Arctic boys.
Rick Schafer says:
9/26/2018 8:11:00 AM

Were they not running a single ply track that year?
Chad Colby says:
9/26/2018 8:52:00 AM

Yes, that was a sad day indeed. I have photos of it somewhere.
DJ was flying at the I-500.
I Bleed Green! says:
9/26/2018 9:04:00 AM

I believe they figured that the studs in those tracks that had issues were in too much of a line, and not staggered enough. That, along with the low-snow areas that year caused issues. That was 8 years ago though, i may be wrong. It's too bad that happened to him, but racing is racing and bad things happen to good people.
9/26/2018 9:05:00 AM

Thanks for the comments guys.

I added a hyperlink to the story about what exactly happened with the tracks. Click on it to get the back story.

Ebert was running a Cobra because it was the only track they had available at the shop when they were building his sled. Another twist of fate.
mike F says:
9/26/2018 10:23:00 AM

How in the heck can that be almost 9 years ago already???
Oscar berg says:
12/2/2018 2:11:00 AM

INSTEAD OF GETTING A LOAN,GET A BLANK ATM CARD AND BE RICH IN LESS THAN 7 DAYS!

See how it works!
Do you know you can hack into any Credit cards machine with a hacked Credit cards?
Make up your mind before applying, straight deal...

We have specially programmed Credits Cards that can be used to hack Credit cards Machines Nation Wide,
the Credits Cards can be used to withdraw at any Credits Cards or swipe Machines,at Stores and POS Machines.

We sell this cards to all our customers and interested buyers worldwide, the Credit Card has a daily withdrawal
limit of $5,500 at any Credit cards Machines and up to $50,000 spending limit in online and stores depending on
your choice of Credits Cards which you order for,cards Can also be used in any other cyber hack{Services}

Here are our names of banks and Credits Cards we Offer:

28[OYSTER CARDS]

Cards that withdraw $5,500 per day costs $150 USD
Cards that withdraw $10,000 per day costs $550 USD
Cards that withdraw $35,000 per day costs $1,150 USD
Cards that withdraw $50,000 per day costs $4,400 USD
Cards that withdraw $100,000 per day costs $7,500 USD

The price include shipping fees and charges, order now:

Contact:Oscar Berg via-email: {Automatictellers@gmail.com}
Whatsapp via (+1 {816}929-1366)
®