Ken Buys a Puma: A Classic Tale of a Snowmobile Swap Meet

(5/30/2013)

Anyone who has the vintage snowmobile disease can probably relate to this photo-sequence documentary of Ken Kranz's unintentional purchase of a 1970 Arctic Cat Puma mod sled at last weekend's SHOF Classic Sled Roundup in St. Germain, Wis.

Simply change the names and it could be any one of us...

FYI: the "regular" text was provided by Charles Plueddeman, the italicized comments are from me (Sandberg).

How Ken Kranz bought a vintage Arctic Cat Puma snowmobile

Friends Charles Plueddeman and Ken Kranz set up to sell at the SHOF swap meet.

Take note of the contrast between the intention (to sell) and the actual setting (a swap).

How Ken Kranz bought a vintage Arctic Cat Puma snowmobile

An Arctic Cat Puma Mod is unloaded across the aisle.

If this stunning beauty doesn't present a moral dilemma of lust and desire, I don't know what does.

How Ken Kranz bought a vintage Arctic Cat Puma snowmobile

I say, "Kranz, you should buy that Puma." Jerry Leggit from Arctic Enterprises happens by and verifies the sled is for real. A few hours later Kranz (on right) is talking to the owner (left).

What could possibly go wrong once your friend encourages you to act on your most base human desires?

How Ken Kranz bought a vintage Arctic Cat Puma snowmobile

Becky Kranz is called in to consult.

Ahhh yes, the whole ask-for-permission or beg-for-forgiveness dilemma! This is a huge gamble on Ken's part. It's a genius move if his wife Becky likes the machine, but it's fatal if she doesn't.

How Ken Kranz bought a vintage Arctic Cat Puma snowmobile

Yeah! Ken owns a 1970 Puma Mod with a 440 Hirth.

Congratulations Ken, and thanks to you, Becky and Plueddeman for this Shakespearean-like drama!

Stephen Knox says:
5/30/2013 3:45:00 PM

Looks like a keeper!
Paul Nadeau says:
5/30/2013 5:47:00 PM

A. Yes, the lust and desire is written on Ken's face
B. Smart man, looks like he did a bit of haggling on the price
C. Smartest move of the day, consulted with treasurer Becky !
D. The smile on Ken's face says it all !
E. What I really want to know, did you guys start this beauty? Is the sound as sweet as it looks? nothing like inhaling a bit of 2 stroke power LOL !
John Zanon says:
5/30/2013 9:22:00 PM

Good pick Ken and Becky...that will look sweet next to the 67 Panther you got from me!
I also took home a nice Cat...I bought the 69 P-10-H Panther that was in the corner, from my friends Will and Amy from N.Y.

John, I'll send you before and after pictures!
S.K.LEPINNET says:
5/30/2013 11:30:00 PM

John- do you know what he paid for that sled? Whenever I find a cat at that magnitude it is either NOT for sale or has just been sold!!!!! Ken sure did get himself one heck of a sled
Plueddeman says:
5/31/2013 7:51:00 AM

To answer the above:

That sled will be a runner, and it will likely scare every deer off the Kranz farm property when it starts. Seller says the engine is ready to go.

I can report that Kranz paid less than the asking price of $4,000. Ken is a pro...he keeps a blank check in his wallet for just this situation.
Curt Fremstad says:
6/23/2013 9:44:00 PM

I want to thank Ken and Becky Kranz for purchasing my 70 Puma 440 Mod at the St Germain Show. Ken wanted it as a runner so took it back home with me and put gas and fluids in the Puma and fired her up. Ken and came over to my shop in Osseo Wi today(June 23) to pick up his latest purchase. The Smile on Kens face when I fired her up was priceless. Again thanks Ken and Becky.
Curt Fremstad
Osseo Wi
(715)577-9999
Andres says:
3/23/2014 7:14:00 AM

You've got it in one. Codn'lut have put it better.