Master Craft: Mike Miller's Magic Restoration

(5/21/2014)

Mike Miller's Arctic Cat Crossfire Transformation snowmobile

Mike Miller's email message to me began with this:

"I bought a 2007 Crossfire 1000 off Craigslist in Pennsylvania. The funny thing is that I live south of Detroit.

Of course the sled was misrepresented big time by the previous
owner. After an 8-hour drive I arrive at the sled.

I had never seen such a turd in all my life (and I've been a snowmobile mechanic for over 25 years). After several minutes of heated discussion, we agreed on a price, threw it in truck and headed back to Michigan.

The entire way home I kept thinking, "What have I got myself into and why am I doing this again?"

The answer to Mike's rhetorical question lies in his remarkable ability to restore snowmobiles.

Mike Miller's Arctic Cat Crossfire Transformation snowmobile

In a nutshell, the sled suffered a complete engine meltdown due to a stud going through the heat exchanger. Then it must have sat completely neglected for a LONG time. To the point of rotting.

And then Miller bought the turd and completely rebuilt it into a stunning show-and-go beauty over a period of roughly six months.

Mike Miller's Arctic Cat Crossfire Transformation snowmobile

Mike Miller's Arctic Cat Crossfire Transformation snowmobile

Mike Miller's Arctic Cat Crossfire Transformation snowmobile

Above is a video showing the transformation in still pictures.

And HERE is an excellent thread on ArcticChat in which Miller illustrates and shares the restoration.

Watching the video and reading the thread leaves me in awe.

Mike Miller is a master with vision, attention to detail and mad skills. And oodles of gumption!

Mike Miller's Arctic Cat Crossfire Transformation snowmobile

Mike with the completed Crossfire. Stunning!

This is the time of year when many resto magicians ply their trade. Hats off to these master craftsmen: they can truly pull rabbits out of hats.

Pat says:
5/21/2014 1:38:00 PM

Great work Mike!
Eric says:
5/22/2014 6:26:00 AM

Sled looks awesome!
Shannon W. says:
5/22/2014 6:57:00 AM

Fantastic job Mike!!! I wish I had half of your skills! I want to strip my CF 800 down and paint the tunnel black but I am afraid I would end up with a bucket full of extra parts and it would never run again!

Been there on the people misrepresenting sleds on condition, "Like New" & "Mint" are two terms OVER used on CL!!! LOL!
Dulpher says:
5/27/2014 11:48:00 AM

Craigslist...My favorite..."Ran great, when parked, 8yrs ago. A quick carb clean is all it needs."
Mike Miller says:
6/1/2014 8:04:00 AM

Thanks guys for the remarks, just noticed that you can comment on here

Great site
Flintstone says:
6/1/2014 9:35:00 PM

The 1000 suzuki is the best 165 hp 2 stroke 87 octane engine ever built. Why they didnt sell likehotcakez is beyond me? There is still a loyal following that wish the procross had one of these!!!

The 1000 was engineering at it's best in cat land. very simple effective power house.
Danny wiener says:
8/13/2016 5:37:00 PM

Hello all I'm looking for Mike Miller contact information in looking for some parts. Please email me if anyone has that information. Thanks guys. Dan w. Fastfisherman6@Gmail.com