Mystery Solved?: Larry Coltom and the Sensational 1976 Arctic Cat Sno Pro

(11/12/2013)

Larry Coltom and the 1976 Arctic Cat Sno Pro 440X. Photo by ArcticInsider.com

From VintageSleds.com:

...“How did it ever get out of Arctic Cat?”

With Larry’s statements, one of the biggest, most important questions about what happened to one of the winningest Cats in SnoPro history was answered...

The 1976 Arctic Cat Sno Pro and Team Arctic's Larry Coltom were an awe-inspiring combination to a generation of snowmobile fans. But what happened to the famed sleds that Coltom and his teammates piloted that Championship-winning season?

CLICK HERE for a jump to VintageSleds.com to read a cool story about one of them.

Larry Coltom and the 1976 Arctic Cat Sno Pro 440X. Photo by ArcticInsider.com

Pluedy says:
11/13/2013 9:50:00 AM

Great photos!
mike says:
11/13/2013 9:54:00 PM

What was the horse power and top speeds for the different ccs.440 & 340
Brett Mallory says:
11/15/2013 5:00:00 AM

Great article! An even bigger plus is seeing a recent picture of Larry Coltom! I used to talk to Larry on the phone when he first started High Performance Engineering about clutching. As a beginning grass dragger I was getting no place fast with my '81 5000 El-Tigre. Everything I tried for clutch tuning just slowed it down. Thanks to Larry, he got me going in the right direction, and by the end of the '83 season I'd gone from being a back marker to finally winning some races. He was beyond generous with information and always seemed genuinely interested in what I was trying to do. I learned a lot from those phone conversations and will never forget it. What a great guy!
Kevin says:
11/15/2013 1:27:00 PM

that's Arcitc, Racing, Snowmobile LEGEND Larry Coltom. Those sleds are almost as legendary.
Ron Parks says:
1/30/2016 10:45:00 AM

The 77Z is the sharpest/sleek~est sled Arctic ever built!
Mark says:
3/28/2017 4:46:00 PM

My brother and I have Larry Coltom's black and green racing helmet from the mid 70's. My brother won it on a raffle at the Father and son banquet in Thief River Falls when we were little. I even have the TRF Times newspaper article with us two sitting on this sled with Larry and Dave Thompson in the picture and my brother holding his helmet as proof.