Oh Yeah Baby! Arctic Cat Minibikes

(7/8/2011)

Arctic Cat minibikes

I'm not sure what I love more: The utterly cool style of the Arctic Cat minibikes, or that one of the model names was Ramrod.

Ramrod!?!

They HAD to have laughed (a lot) about that one while sipping cocktails at the Legion after-hours, circa 1972.

While Ramrod brings out the Junior High mentality in me, the mere thought of Arctic Cat minibikes elicits memories of youth. Dang, I never owned an Arctic Cat minibike, but I did have a homemade version. And riding it always meant a mixture of fun, adventure and anxiety (the latter because we would poach private property trails where it wasn't exactly legal to ride).

I remember the absolute joy of scraping together enough change to buy a gallon of gasoline. We'd ride to the gas-station on bicycles, fill up the one-gallon can, then ride home to fill up the tank.

Arctic Cat Screamer patch

Arctic Cat Screamer

Screamer! The perfect name for a 134cc/8-hp minibike with 14-in. wheels and marginal brakes/suspension. At least buyers weren't being duped at the time of purchase.

Arctic Cat SSSCAT patch

I suspect that when the Arctic Cat Marketing guys were putting together the marketing plan for the first year (1970) minibikes, that someone double-sneezed while typing on the IBM Selectric, and nobody caught the mistake. Thus the first model in the line was dubbed SSSCAT instead of SCAT.

But either way, was another name for "crap" really a good choice for a product name?

The first Arctic Cat Prowler

Contrary to popular opinion, the very first Arctic Cat Prowler was not a 1990 snowmobile, but rather this 1971 minibike with a 47cc Sachs engine and the coolest seat ever to grace a two-wheeled vehicle.

Arctic Cat minibikes from the Tom Rowland Collection

Arctic Cat offered minibikes from 1970-72, then conceded the category to more established brands. Still, of all the non-snowmobile products Arctic Enterprises offered in the 1970s, the minibikes seem the coolest to me. I'm personally on the prowl to find a nice condition green model this summer.

There will be lots of Arctic Cat minibikes at the 50th Anniversary shin-dig at the end of the month, perhaps even the two from Tom Rowland's collection pictured above.

For a whole bunch more info on Arctic Cat minibikes, check out THIS SECTION from BossCatLegacy.com.

Arctic Cat Minibike advertisement

Jeremiah Johnson says:
7/8/2011 2:16:00 PM

John we have a screamer and man is that thing a blast! Its lightning fast and a little wobbly at 50mph!
akrider says:
7/8/2011 3:58:00 PM

I'm thinking that the '72 marketing team may have been under the influence of illegal substances? Ramrod..... Scat.... or maybe someone on the team had a fetish?

Tom Rowland says:
7/9/2011 9:14:00 PM

When considering the names that were chosen and used for the mini-bike line, we can only guess what names may have been considered but did not make the final cut. Uhh...ummm...no....Any unused names I throw out here are going to take me in a downward spiral...lol!
Tom Rowland says:
7/9/2011 9:25:00 PM

Oh, I forgot to say my original thought above...I got a new 1971 Arctic Cat Whisker mini bike and probably rode that thing for about 6 summers straight, that thing was tough as nails. I recall the recoil needing some maintenence every now and then. I also remember having to remove the spark plug from time-to-time and take my jack knife and clean a hunk of carbon out of the electrode. Looking back...maybe as a 6-year-old kid I was not mixing my gasoline/oil as accurately as I should have? Must have not mixed it to the lean side much as I don't think my dad ever had to replace any engine components. My older sister had a 72 Prowler that she has always kept...that is about to undergo a restoration so it is ready for her grandson in a year or two, thats pretty good service life for a bike that was probably around $400 when brand new.
Greg Hallstrom says:
7/11/2011 3:00:00 AM

Ha! That brings back some old memories. I remember my second cousin, Joey Hallstrom, doing a wheelie on one of those on the driveway at our farm. He went all the way over onto his ass. Maybe he could do an Instant Replay for us all at the 50th.
Jeff mihalko says:
7/14/2011 7:51:00 AM

I am planning on attending the anniversary event. If i can fit them all in the trailer I will have all of the minibikes there. from 1970 the SSSCAT both the sachs and te***seh powered. The 1971 screamer ,prowler,whisker and climber. And also the 1972 prowler ,ramrod, and a brand new in the box whisker. These bikes are all restored or very clean originals I also have a large collection of parts and memoribilia regarding the minibikes.
I Hope to meet many of you there.
Tom Rowland says:
7/15/2011 7:47:00 PM

Jeff, was that your collection that was on display at the VSCA Nationals in TRF a few years ago? It must not have been easy to find one of these still brand new in the box.
putski says:
9/22/2011 10:27:00 AM

Hello, I'm looking for a rewind for a Sachs motor...

or point me in the correct direction.

Thank you!
Rusty says:
1/4/2013 11:24:00 AM

John, Thank You so much for the quick response,, that'll save a lot of hair pulling for me :-)
chuck says:
1/23/2013 1:57:00 PM

I have a 1971 climber for sale,It is all there, All but the original motor,It has never ben restored. I live in Ontario Ohio
#419-689-6061
Ed Funk says:
3/14/2013 11:03:00 AM

HAVE A 70? SACHS POWERED SSSCAT WON'T LAST LONG ON CLIST LEHIGH VALLEY PA...BEST TO CALL5702494110 FOR INFO 3/14/13
lonnie says:
7/19/2013 12:45:00 AM

I have a 1971 screamer in very good original condition everything is there. 612-998-0431 needs help to get running
ron says:
7/30/2013 4:18:00 PM

Have a 1971 or a 72 articat whisker for sale. The bike hasn't been used for at least 30 yrs. It still runs and is in very good shape. Has owners manual. 716-628-9196
jeff says:
8/2/2013 3:13:00 PM

In 73 my friend next door (a mile or two away - farmland) and I were given identical 72 prowlers. Dad was a Cat dealer in a small town. We rode them for years. Sold mine to his cousin, and he still has them both.
Darin says:
12/20/2013 4:45:00 PM

Does anyone know how many '72 Ramrod mini bikes were produced?
Gary says:
12/21/2013 11:40:00 PM

I have a 1970 SSSCAT that I'm looking to sell, has the 47 cc sacks engine. Missing some parts but in good shape. Hasn't been started in years. Bought new!
If interested call (315) 404-2824. Upstate NY.
randy says:
1/11/2014 11:14:00 AM

looking to sell a artic cat 47cc new head new red valves new ring have the org part I put it all back together with new back tire an brake it ran for one ride sitting for a year shoot me a price pick up only
Mike says:
1/22/2014 12:37:00 PM

Randy I am interested in your mini bike could you tell me more?
Darin says:
2/6/2014 3:51:00 PM

Regarding my earlier inquiry as to how many 1972 Arctic Cat Ramrod mini bikes were produced, I heard back from a well respected Arctic Cat mini bike aficionado. He believes that 5000 units were reported to have been produced, but only 4000 actually were manufactured. This is based on the serial number range of known units in existance today.
joe says:
2/12/2014 8:37:00 PM

hi any one out their have sach 50cc recoil for sale thanks
randy says:
3/12/2014 7:33:00 PM

what do you want to know about the artic cat for sale
scott says:
3/23/2014 3:26:00 PM

I have a 1971 prowler mini bike with the sachs engine, 2 speed transmission. can someone help me understand where to fill the transmission with oil and where to check it
David says:
4/2/2014 5:54:00 PM

Hey so I bought a old arctic cat mini bike a little while back. The guy I bought it from put a new motor on it and it doesn't work. What would be a suitable replacement motor for it?
Dean r says:
5/8/2014 8:31:00 PM

I LOVE my ramrods. I have 2, all the parts for another. Then most the parts to build 2 more.
Neil G says:
6/5/2014 8:55:00 PM

Just got grandpas old screamer running and it is a blast. Can anyone lead me towards a recoil for it? Mine is cracked in several places and am having trouble with it returning. Any assistance would be much appreciated. Thanks
shane says:
6/8/2014 9:31:00 PM

I have a 1972 ramrod all orginal and complete for sale, email-shanestonemusic@hotmail.com
keith p says:
7/18/2014 1:33:00 AM

I would love a 71 or 72 prowler for my grandaughter. Anyone got one for sale? As long as it's complete, it doesn't mater if it runs.
Thanx
Brett says:
9/17/2014 12:34:00 AM

I have a 72 ramrod and need a few parts. Could use the clutch cover, front fender, airfilter/aircleaner (on the carb), metal housing for the motor.
Let me know if you have any of these parts.
Thanks - Brett
Brett says:
9/17/2014 12:36:00 AM

oopps...my email address is bwvanetta@hotmail.com for the ramrod parts listed abouve....thanks....Brett
travis benter says:
10/16/2014 11:02:00 PM

I have a 72 Ramrod looking for engine parts
Scott Ruud says:
10/17/2014 2:49:00 PM

John, I have a 1972 Arctic Cat 'Prowler' Mini Bike for sale! I had it completely restored a few years back. EMail: svruud@live.com

Thanks, Scott Ruud (BMX friend) Cologne, MN
Bill M. says:
11/5/2014 10:35:00 PM

Hello, I am looking for I believe it's a 1971 Arctic Cat Mini Bike with a Sachs motor. Need a recoil for it. Are these able to be purchased if so where do not want to send a lot of money on one.

Thanks Bill Marion Danbury, Wi
bjenx says:
1/29/2015 9:22:00 AM

Who is the best option for any new parts on a 1972 Ramrod. I will need piston, rings and gaskets.
TinaC says:
2/4/2015 8:57:00 PM

I just bought what I think is a 72 climber. Some one did some costum work and it ain't pretty. If anyone knows where I could find a gas tank I would appreciate it. I am really excited I found it and I want it to look closer to what it's supposed look like.
brett Vanetta says:
2/4/2015 11:55:00 PM

there is a climber tank on ebay for sale now. Its a nice one.
john griffin says:
6/18/2015 12:09:00 PM

hi
I have a 1971 or 1972 arctic cat ramrod . hasn't run for thirty years or so .it was well stored and I am thinking of restoring for my grandson.I am looking to find an operators manual for this bike . does anyone have an operators manual . a printed copy would work .

Bob Miller says:
7/2/2015 7:35:00 PM

I have old Arctic Cat Helmets & Colthing for sale.Also some engine parts.
Josh says:
8/13/2015 9:35:00 PM

I have an all original whisker a a it s amazing! Runs great and looks the part, however the bottom of the tank is starting to leak near
The Frame mounts. I am looking for a replacement tank in good shape? Email is you know of one thanks!

Showa69@hotmail.com
Matt steinbah says:
8/21/2015 11:10:00 AM

Do any of you guys know or have any arctic cat mini bike for sale. Years and models non specific. Thank you
mark says:
8/23/2015 8:54:00 AM

i have 1972 whisker i will sell
mark says:
8/23/2015 9:03:00 AM

call mark about 1972 whisker mini bike 4 sale runs great 716-439-5160p9k
John Griffin says:
12/9/2015 3:54:00 AM

Hi

Would anyone have an owners manual for a 1972 arctic cat ramrod mini bike? if so , would anyone be willing to e-mail a copy to me ? Thanks

jgriffi2@hotmail.com
don wren says:
12/12/2015 7:08:00 PM

i have a 71 artic cat climber that have been thinking about trying to sell but cant what they are going for . about all missing is tail light behind seat.had it running few years ago befor stored it in storage building. my phone is 806 543 8913. live in west texas
Danielle says:
12/28/2015 6:56:00 PM

I have a 1972 RAMROD that is super close to being done with its restoration.
I also have enough parts to make almost another bike. Anyone got parts for sale? email me what you got.
blacksadytop_93@hotmail.com
siggy says:
2/25/2016 1:56:00 PM

still got my whisker. still trying 2 find out what year it is. has no rear shocks. hard tail. ????? fired up after 15 year in storage...looking 4 more info ?????? thanks
Joe McBirnie says:
3/24/2016 8:48:00 AM

In search of a 1972 arctic cat ramrod in fair to perfect condition It was my first motor cycle please call 515 298 2500 or e-mail me at premierpowdercoating@hotmail.com
Steven Hutchison says:
3/25/2016 8:08:00 PM

Hi, I have a 1972 Arctic Cat Ramrod Kawa 100 which was my first bike as a kid, got it in the summer of 77 after grade 7, you always remember your first bike the most, the best memories, sold it back in the 70's and found my childhood dream starter bike again, not the same one, about 10 years ago and would like to find another for parts etc, also interested in the 1972 Prowlers because they basically had the same chassis but 2 speed Sach engine, Steve.
Steven Hutchison says:
3/25/2016 8:12:00 PM

Basically any Arctic Cat minibike stuff or memorabilia I am interested in for the right price, mostly Ramrod and 72 Prowler, tks Steve, forgot my email ms_hutch@hotmail.ca in Eastern Ontario, Canada.
Bob S. says:
5/7/2016 7:20:00 AM

The summer camp I attended in New Hampshire through the early-mid 70s had a small fleet of '72 Ramrods. My parents bought one for me when they upgraded to Chaparrals a few years later. What a fantastic little bike. Torque off the bottom, stupid fast top speed for a mini bike, looked cool, sounded cool....as long as you kept the torque converter assembly dry, you were golden. Loved that bike.

I somehow ended up with a spare engine for mine, and distinctly remember sitting in my room, cartoons on tv, milling the cylinder head down with a flat file. That engine ultimately ended up on a standard 70s hardware store mini bike with a centrifugal clutch. The extra compression from milling the head would just about rip your arm off trying to get it started, but absolutely nothing could beat it except the XR75 down the street, and only then after we got rolling. Good times.
Bob says:
5/7/2016 7:22:00 AM

One other thought - am I the only one who remembers Purple Panther Lube, the purple 2-stroke oil? I could have sworn that's what it was called, but google comes up empty.
Bob Carty says:
5/8/2016 8:44:00 AM

Looking for a hs40 Tecumseh with light coil for a 1970 scat and a torque converter and a few other misc parts. Email me if you know any one that may be intrested in selling. Bobcarty@hotmail.com
Rick Brazee says:
8/27/2016 2:22:00 PM

the 72 ramrod was my first bike and i'm getting old now and would love to find one that is complete in running condition,Anyone knows where i could buy one please email me or call at 757-724-0961 Va. beach my name is Rick thank you
Joe says:
9/20/2016 5:19:00 PM

I'm looking for prowler seat (71) if anyone has one .
I also have in the original box a nos tank with decals and
Nos spare motor
Doug Franklin says:
10/2/2016 11:08:00 PM

Looking for a complete SACHS recoil for a 1970 Arctic Cat SSSCat I. If you have one or know someone who does please email me at douglasfranklin@shaw.ca. I am willing to pay a fair price for one, thanks
Ryan says:
10/19/2016 12:15:00 AM

My 14yo son bought a 1972 Ramrod and is rebuilding it.
Anyone know where I can get a gasket set, piston and set of rings for the 98cc Kawasaki engine? Also need a taillight and front brake lever Assy.
Email is : by-the-lake@hotmail.com.
Chris says:
10/27/2016 10:43:00 PM

I have a Arctic cat mini bike tank, 5 hp side shaft briggs and a rupp seat all for sale. Email me for more info
Chris says:
10/27/2016 10:45:00 PM

Email is Chris.JDFord@yahoo.com
Doug Cousens says:
10/29/2016 4:57:00 PM

Looking for a 1971 or 1972 Climber. Had one as a kid and would like to get one to restore for grandchildren. If anyone has any info they could help me with it would be appreciated.
Don Wren, I see you have one, any chance you could email me.
Thanks All
Doug.Cousens @sympatico.ca 705-330-9162 Ontario Cananda
Joe C. says:
11/28/2016 6:51:00 PM

Have most of a 1972 Ramrod. Missing Fuel tank, pull start, throttle grip, handlebar brackets to name a few. Engine seems complete except for carb filter set up. Have the original dealer manual that came with the bike.

If anyone has parts or interested in making an offer send me a message.
Allan L. says:
12/3/2016 9:58:00 AM

I came into a small pick up load of Cat mini bikes and parts. I just wanted the Ramrod but had to buy the whole lot. I have collected early 70 Cat snowmobiles for over 10 years but not looking to hoard mini bike stuff so would like to sell it off to recoup some of my investment. I have a rusty but near complete screamer No seat or carb. Chrysler motor is there but everything is seized. Climber with a almost new Tecumseh motor (not correct) decent overall but needs a little work. 1 and 1/2 Sermonette motors in parts ($100 may be sold). Primary and secondary clutches, brake hubs - NOS a couple torpedo mufflers (used). A lot of Misc. stuff about half is NOS but has been in storage for years so has shelf wear. If you Google "NHSMA" "classifieds" "for sale" there is a pic of the parts laid out. Looking for market value on price, can ship (I'm in NH) for cost of shipping smaller stuff. Will start listing on EBay early next year. Can ship also send pics if any interest. (6035546910)
Thanks
Al

Doug says:
1/6/2017 6:56:00 PM

Hi Allan
I couldn't find your Ad. Wondering if you could send me pictures of the Climber.
Doug.Cousens@rogers.com
Steven Hutchison says:
1/16/2017 9:04:00 PM

Hi, I just got my 2nd Ramrod, first one I got in 2007, second one 2017, really my first one was in 1977 just after grade 7, which is long gone, would like to buy a couple more as it was my first bike as a kid and would like one for each family member, most people don't even know Arctic Cat made mini bikes. It is hard to believe they were only made from 1970 to 1972 and also hard to believe they came with four different makes of engines. Even cooler was the names, Ramrod, Screamer, Prowler, Whisker and Climber along with SSSCat or Scat for short, probably because everyone smoked dope in the 70's we got names like that along with the crazy names of Hodaka too with Dirt Squirt, Road Toad, Combat Wombat and Super Rat, just miss the easy going days of the 70's. Any extra Ramrods around to sell please contact ms_hutch@hotmail.ca, Eastern Ontario, Canada.
Steven Hutchison says:
1/18/2017 12:36:00 PM

Only wrote here two days ago, two days later the Ramrods Gods were in force, got first one as a kid which was my first bike ever in 77, long gone, wanted one again, got one in 2007, second one two days ago got from a friend, two days later, 2 on Kijiji, got them two, thought I was only going to have twins but got quadruplets. I think I got infected with Ramititus. The Ramafacations maybe endless who knows, now I have one for each member of the family, but only 2 run and the other 2 need a few parts and a bit of tlc.
These will keep me busy when I retire down the road when I will probably sell all my other bikes, road and dirt and keep with what I started with as a kid. Hopefully I can ride them right into my 80's with a bit of luck.
Larry says:
2/28/2017 4:37:00 PM

I've got an above average condition " Whisker " with a Sachs motor. Got It about 89-91 Kids had a ball riding it ( So Did I ). Has not been started since the late 90's. Turns over and has spark. Want to sell, What it worth?

Contact me @ LCMemmel@Gmail.com
Allan Ladd says:
3/4/2017 4:45:00 PM

FYI - Screamer alert!
Marty says:
3/5/2017 10:40:00 PM

I just picked up a Arctic Cat Prowler that been sitting in a barn for years. It's a 1971, excellent condition with all the parts. Only thing needed is a good washing? My grandson and I are hoping to enjoy riding it? I would like to know if they're in demand as a vintage collectible? What would be a fair price for one?
Ken Clark says:
3/19/2017 4:38:00 PM

Looking for a gas tank new or used for a reasonable price. I guy last year had one for $250. That's not reasonable. Don't care if it's chrome or painted. Just don't want any inside rust. Mine rusted the bottom from sitting. I've had it since 1972.
Ken Clark says:
3/19/2017 4:41:00 PM

Sorry it's a screamer.
Ian Markie says:
5/21/2017 8:44:00 PM

Ken clark i know someone w a chrome tank but trust me they dont go cheaper than 250 #8104346581
Glen Mallory says:
6/25/2017 6:37:00 PM

From what I have seen the US 820 kart engine is quite similar to the Screamer engine. Well worth a look. Its still sold as a powersports unit. Might be a parts source. Popular with vintage karters. Try googling US820.
Jim Katanski says:
8/2/2017 10:02:00 PM

Where can I get the pads on the recoil replaced? I have a 1971 Prowler with the Sachs engine. I am the original owner
Keith Newton says:
9/8/2017 1:17:00 PM

Is there any markings on the frame to help I.D. the model?
Mark Cole says:
9/14/2017 9:46:00 PM

Does anyone have a parts source for the Ramrod Kawasaki T6A motor. I am looking for standard piston rings and a gasket kit. I will also be looking for a torque converter if I can find the engine parts.3
GEE says:
9/14/2017 10:38:00 PM

Looking for forks for a 1971 Climber If anyone could help that would be great Thanksc4bht
Gerard porter says:
10/27/2017 5:52:00 PM

Hi
I'm looking for a ramrod, climber or prowler... if some had one reasonably priced please email me hoosierpoppy@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Gerard
mark lamerato says:
10/28/2017 6:42:00 AM

Arctic cat jacket patches Screamer Prowler Whisker Ramrod Climber, very cool collectables $100
NOS Ramrod intake + NOS carb $150
248 251 6231
Tony Kovac says:
12/31/2017 2:08:00 PM

Anyone got the tinwork that goes around the cylinder and head? Also maybe some carb parts for a ramrod?
John Calogero says:
3/16/2018 8:39:00 PM

Wondering if this site is still active
Mike M says:
3/17/2018 4:16:00 PM

Hi, I have a SSSCAT for sale. Very low miles, still has the little mold knobs on the front tire. Pretty nice shape I think. Ran great and shifted great until the starter failed. I am the second owner and have owned the bike for the last 25 or so years. Always stored indoors. All original parts. The starter is missing from the Sachs engine. The starter got lost over the years so no starter is included. Engine turns over very smooth and has great compression. Email for pictures. Bike is ready to ship in a custom made wooden shipping crate and one separate cardboard box. Thanks.
CR500R1985@GMAIL.COM
Ron bertram says:
3/29/2018 2:05:00 AM

I have artic cat scat green tank seat has no rips or tears tank has dent repairable tires hold air bike is all there need to be restored has five horse engine Tecumseh that will run carb dirty had running 2 yrs ago its 1970 or 1971 I've had this bike over 40 yrs looking to sell 700.00. My email is motorhead711964@gmail.com
mike french says:
4/3/2018 9:47:00 PM

any body out there have arecoil for sach engine and also looking for black gauard for muffler
Jim harting says:
6/3/2018 3:44:00 PM

Picking up a 72 Ramrod. All there, haven’t seen it in years. How hard is it to find parts for these things?
Zuke says:
6/25/2018 9:11:00 PM

I am looking for a recoil pull starter, air cleaner, and the torque converter drive unit that mounts on the crank for the 1972 Ramrod with the Kawasaki 98cc engine.
816-533-2071
Steve Mueller says:
8/20/2018 3:04:00 PM

Hello, I have a 1971 Climber and in need of a rear axle and rear hub.
563 590 7128.

Thanks for the help.

Randy says:
8/26/2018 5:40:00 PM

I have a sax attic cat engine for sale or trade for other mini bikes it does not have recoil many extra parts come with it spare carb bag of throttle parts handle bars front tire and tube exhaust pipe rings extra motor cover, I don’t have a bike to use this engine on so I want to move it best offer or trade deal I know what I could get on eBay in parts but I would like to sell it as is ....
peter says:
9/4/2018 9:09:00 PM

I have a 1970-71 Artic Prowler mini bike with a 49 cc Sachs engine. I need the pull starter recoil assembly. Anyone have an idea of where to get one?

Thanks,