Princeton Swap Meet: My 2014 Snowmobile Season Begins

(8/27/2013)

I hit my first snowmobile show/swap event of the 2013-14 season this past weekend in Princeton, Minn., where the 20th Annual Outlaw Drags unfolded in perfect opposition to a blasted heat wave.

Arctic Cat Lynx Mod at Princeton. Photo by ArcticInsider.com

There's a decidedly vintage sled feel to Princeton, which hits you the moment you walk through the gate via some really cool displays, including this Arctic Cat Lynx mod owned by Cat collector Jack Speckel.

I love the Lynx/Puma mod singles... they're so dang short and containable.

Stretched Arctic Cat Panther at Princeton. Photo by ArcticInsider.com

In contrast to the tiny Lynx, this custom 1969 Panther stretch offers a bit more leg room.

Arctic Cat Cougar at Princeton. Photo: ArcticInsider.com

A beautiful 1968 Arctic Cat Cougar. This "hedged bet" against the slide-rail suspension looks really gnarly-tough (badass) in person.

Arctic Cat El Tigre at Princeton. Photo: ArcticInsider.com

Speaking of gnarly-tough, vintage/I-500 guru Jess Babler poses with this 1975 Arctic Cat El Tigre Cross-Country. Jess is trying to learn as much as he can about this little-known cross-country sled, so if anyone reading this can provide some info on the ultra-rare CC El Tigre, please post it in the comments here.

Arctic Cat Panther hood that survided the I-500

I guess there was a bit of an I-500 theme running through my day at Princeton, as evidenced by this Panther featuring the remnants of decals from the great race...

USXC's Brian Nelson displays the hoped-for 2015 I-500 route.

... and I-500 double-winner Brian Nelson showing a poster of the proposed return-to-Winnipeg route for 2015. Nelson has continued to make progress on this endeavor and was eager to talk about his intentions to go four days (and across the border) in two year's time.

Brian Nelson with Team Arctic's Greg and Zach Herfindahl.

Stopping by to talk with Nelson about the upcoming USXC race season were Team Arctic phenom Zach Herfindahl (right) and his dad Greg. Zach is about five weeks into his recovery from a broken collarbone that occurred in a motorcycle harescrambles event, and is on track to be in shape for the cross-country season.

Arctic Cat booth at Princeton.

There is a ton of new stuff on display at Princeton, including the Arctic Cat truck with all the 2014 snowmobiles and new ATVs.

Outlaw snowmobile swap meet at Princeton.

I spent some time with the new iron at Princeton, but my primary goal this trip was to see the magic on display in the swap meet.

I wasn't intent to buy anything in particular, however, I did bring five Benjamins in case something caught my eye...

Outlaw snowmobile swap in princeton. photo: ArcticInsider.com

...so of course EVERYTHING caught my eye.

Arctic Cat Prowler minibike at Princeton. Photo by ArcticInsider.com

I have almost pulled the trigger on buying an Arctic Cat minibike about 10 times in the past handful of years, only to get cold feet when it was deal time. This Prowler looked decent and held my gaze for a good five minutes.

Arctic Cat Cub minibike at Princeton. Photo by ArcticInsider.com

Speaking of Arctic Cat mini bikes, take a look at the "before" images of this Cub from the 1964-65 period.

Arctic Cat Cub minibike at Princeton. Photo by ArcticInsider.com

Here's the "after." Beautiful!

Swapping at the swap.

Ralph Pribyl (right), owner of Bottom Line Traction, shares his cool swap "find" with Tom Rowland. The "find" was a bunch of photo negatives and prints of the 1974 Arctic Cat El Tigre 400 that undoubtedly originated at Arctic Enterprises.

I love that stuff from the old Arctic Enterprises period makes its way into the world of swaps. Better that it be seen and available than just holed up in someone's barn in perpetuity.

Vintage Arctic Cat stuff for sale at Princeton.

One guy who's making sure that a lot of Arctic Cat stuff from the 1970s IS in the public domain is Matt Linn, an Illinois collector who pays for his hobby by buying out old Cat dealerships of their inventory, then selling what he doesn't want at various swap meets around the country.

Swapping Arctic Cat snowmobile stuff at Princeton.

Linn had piles of NOS goodies at reasonable prices.

Arctic Cat Purple Power Lube for sale at Princeton.

Purple PowerLube anyone?

Swapping at Princeton.

There are fantastic sights to behold at swaps, some of which don't directly involve snowmobiles.

I gotta say, compared to Hay Days, the Princeton swap is decidedly more snowmobile-specific, with far fewer examples of sellers trying to unload washing machines, shingles, door handles or asbestos.

Princeton also has a more laid-back vibe, perhaps because it's not quite as large as Hay Days.

Vintage Arcticwear for sale at Princeton.

The ONE thing I should have bought at Princeton was this pair of Arcticwear one-piece suits festooned with cool patches. Alas, the five Bens stayed in my wallet and I left without adding any more projects to my plate.

1974 Arctic Cat El Tigre at Princeton.

Of course, I could have left with great stuff that wasn't a project, but instead a beautiful running vintage machine.

Hardcore Arctic Cat swappers at Princeton.

The Gimp, aka Team Arctic's Aaron Scheele (right) was nursing a broken collarbone and buying sweet knit Arcticwear sweaters like they were going out of style.

Bobby Flame sled sighting at Princeton

One of Bobby Flame's sleds was for sale at Princeton, complete with the 20-in. handlebar riser and a Klymax! decal.

Vintage sled drags at Princeton

One of the other cool aspects to Princeton is the Friday night vintage sled drags under the lights. Super laid-back and enjoyable, with conversations about great rides and experiences punctuated by the occasional roar of four sleds hurling down the strip. Truly good times!

Like any swap meet I go to, Princeton TOTALLY put me in a snowmobile state of mind. I'd been tiptoeing around sled projects all summer, not wanting to commit until my head was in the game (and I'd gotten done regular summer stuff).

Most of the "regular" summer stuff still isn't done, of course, but my head is now swirling with thoughts of winter and all the stuff I want to get done in anticipation of it.

Thanks to all the people who made Princeton happen (and who forced me to refocus my priorities)!

And thanks for reading.

Andrew Kramer says:
8/27/2013 5:04:00 PM

This was the first time in many years I didn't make it, just too hot! Thanks for the good pics, I always get the vibe of outlaws being what haydays used to be. Small and snowmobile specific. They both have their place, I love them both.
Evolved Customs says:
8/27/2013 8:03:00 PM

In regards to the 340 el Tigre cross country. I have one very similar that I have owned since the mid 90's. I of course in my younger years stripped the decals, reprinted the hood, and swapped out the rear skids for something better. None the less it is a 340 el Tigre which when I got it had decals like the one above. The 340 Kawasaki engine with dual ignition, twin carbs, head temp gauges for all four plugs. It was a fast sled 80mph. Now what can others tell me? I would like to sell the sled. Chassis is together but the engine is in pieces and needs some ignition parts. I just don't have time for the.vintage sleds right now.
s.t.i.c.s.9 says:
8/27/2013 8:50:00 PM

What? No asbestos at Princeton! I sure hope that I can find some at Haydays!
winnipegtostpaul.com says:
8/27/2013 9:23:00 PM

Evolved Customs, The el Tigre is my sled. If yours has a cross country seat contact me at info@winnipegtostpaul.com
Matt Linn says:
8/27/2013 9:29:00 PM

John,
Thanks for the compliments. It was a pleasure talking with you. Great swap-meet! Matt.
S.K.LEPINNET says:
8/28/2013 8:32:00 PM

John - If one was too travel to a swap meet, which would you say would be the best to attend? Is there one better then this Princeton meet? I have to say based on your pictures it's a pretty darn good one.
SnoProDakota says:
8/31/2013 7:25:00 AM

Evolved,

Send me an email at dnehring@bektel.com - would like to discuss your 75.

Thanks,
Dave
Andrey says:
3/22/2014 5:01:00 PM

Five of us did it today under the 12:30 sun, we decided to do 10 rhtaer than 20, and thank god we did. I had 405 on the sled, good thing I went 3rd and saw that the others didn't give up, dug deep and found the will to continue ..legs were so full afterwards, one hell of a sick and crazy workout. We will do it again adding reps each time.
Mutunzi says:
3/23/2014 12:43:00 PM

70ft, 65ft, 58ft, 58ft, 55ft, 50ft, 53ft, 48ft, 40ft, 43ft, 43ft, 40ft, 38ft, 37ft, 41ft, 35ft, 37ft, 38ft, 39ft, 41ft. That kicked me in the balls repteaedly. I fell off the wagon around round 16, then found my man-strength and started working again. My legs feeling like smashed hamburger http://snxyczr.com [url=http://uqdqts.com]uqdqts[/url] [link=http://gwxlgxooi.com]gwxlgxooi[/link]
Dan Peterson says:
3/13/2015 7:42:00 AM

Never met Matt Linn , but I would like to . I am a vintage cat lover . My son and I just started going to Waconia and Princeton last year , and I am always looking for another source for parts and advice. Thanks, Dan Peterson
Christina says:
10/9/2015 1:14:00 AM

workouts are awesome been doing a lot more lalety hope you keep posting them and i know that all the airman i work with have been liking falling on the floor after your strong man workouts
Christina says:
10/9/2015 1:14:00 AM

Christina says:
10/9/2015 1:14:00 AM

Christian says:
10/11/2015 5:55:00 AM

: "From a longer-range petspecrive, however, Democrats' views today reflect essentially a return to the sentiment seen early in the decade, while Republicans now express significantly lower support."..."It is possible that the current debate has increased the average American's awareness as to the nuances of the various roles the government could play in the healthcare system, helping make the generic "make sure all Americans have healthcare coverage" sound less appealing."..."Most polling shows that Americans tend to favor a "public option" in which the government would provide a healthcare plan that would not be mandatory but one of several options for those seeking healthcare insurance. Americans apparently do not equate this with government's guaranteeing that all Americans have healthcare coverage." http://znxdfsvuhd.com [url=http://iedltybra.com]iedltybra[/url] [link=http://huddsyrlv.com]huddsyrlv[/link]
Christian says:
10/11/2015 5:56:00 AM

Christian says:
10/11/2015 5:56:00 AM

Mithun says:
10/13/2015 1:49:00 AM

ObamaCare's imminent psasage concentrates the mind. If you asked most Americans “wouldn't it be great if the federal government fixed health care and it didn't affect your coverage and it didn't cost you much,” you'll get one answer, but when you actually see a 1,900 + page bill that no one can read, stuffed full of fines, taxes and penalties, including 5 years in prison for not voluntarily joining, that's another thing. Naturally, people ask If it's so great why did Congress opt out? And why is it necessary to include prison sentences? http://wowgdytzhg.com [url=http://hchtaxal.com]hchtaxal[/url] [link=http://jijgon.com]jijgon[/link]
Mithun says: