Rest In Peace, Edgar Hetteen

(2/13/2011)

Edgar Hetteen, founder of Arctic Cat

Edgar Hetteen, co-founder of Polaris and founder of Arctic Cat, passed away on Saturday, Feb. 12. He was 90 years old.

Words can barely contain impact that Edgar made on the sport of snowmobiling.

He is gone, but he will never be forgotten.

I feel fortunate for having thanked him (on multiple occasions) for all that he's done, including starting Arctic Cat.

It's with honor, grace, and a twinge of sadness (but mostly joy) that I say goodbye to one of the most influential, important people this sport will ever know.

Godspeed, Edgar. And happy trails in heaven's powder.

FUNERAL INFO HERE  (click on "Edgar Hetteen" Link on the right).

Visitation will be from 12:30 p.m. until the 2:00 p.m. Funeral Service on Saturday, February 19th, at the Grace Bible Chapel in Grand Rapids. Burial will be in the Harris Cemetery in Harris Township, Minnesota.

Arrangements are by the Rowe Funeral Home in Grand Rapids

Edgar with his wife Hannah

Kevin says:
2/13/2011 8:44:00 PM

He was THE most influential person in the history of the sport. The timing of his passing is going to make Arctic's 50th a bittersweet occasion, and I am sorry that Edgar won't he here to see it. I felt very fortunate to be able to meet the person who I considered to be the greatest snowmobiler of them all.
M8Stealth says:
2/13/2011 10:22:00 PM

Had the pleasure of meeting Edgar at HayDays in 2005 shortly after reading his biography called "Breaking Trail." If you haven't read the book, I highly recommend it. Glad Edgar was around 90 years to make a difference in our cold snowy world. There must be snow in heaven if it is paradise!
Ted says:
2/14/2011 7:34:00 AM

It was a thrill and honor to meet and talk with him several times. Quite the sense of humor he had! He will be missed!
ArcticCatLover says:
2/14/2011 10:05:00 AM

You will be dearly missed Edgar. Thanks for all you did.
Oldcats says:
2/14/2011 10:48:00 AM

Very Ironic. We were U.P. North this past Saturday. My father-in-law had said it was like we were in Heaven. Thanks for the great day of riding Edgar. Be it either "Breaking Trail" or riding hardpack, hope the ride is the best you have ever had and the sleds your designing for us in the afterlife are as great as the ones you built for us here on earth.

You will be missed.
Bob Aasen says:
2/14/2011 11:20:00 AM

I was with Scorpion when Arctic Enterprises purchased that company. Edgar traveled the United States and Canada for Scorpion dealer meetings. It was his job to convince the Scorpion dealers that this purchase was going to be good for them.

It was my privilege to travel with him. That travel period provided moments I have never forgot and never will. Everything that has been said and written about him his true. He was a great influence on our sport and will be missed.

God's Speed Edgar
kevin Koehler says:
2/14/2011 4:08:00 PM

I had the pleasure of meeting Edgar and his wife at his book signing Breaking Trail, And I also had a chance to talk with him and Hannah at the ski and snowmobile show in the Cities a few years back when I purchased some DVDs from the old Edgar days with Arctic Cat that one of his sons put together. Two of the nicest people you could ever talk to. You will be missed Edgar.
03 F7 says:
2/14/2011 5:18:00 PM

s.t.i.c.s.9 says:
2/14/2011 8:52:00 PM

I was having him sign a copy of C.J. Ramstad's book LEGEND at Waconia in '07, and said to him that I knew there was a picture somewhere in there of him that he could sign. He said, "well at least my picture is not on the post office wall". Very nice man, thanks Edgar, rest in peace.
Robert A Zemla (Ditchpickle) says:
2/15/2011 1:23:00 PM

This is a loss that words can not explain end will be met with many beautiful winters to come. I thank you Edgar. RIP
Rusty says:
2/16/2011 11:44:00 AM

Amen to every last word that all here have posted,, This is a very sad time :(
KEVIN says:
4/26/2011 9:52:00 PM

edgar was a great man i had the great honor of meeting him at the polaris 50th anniversary party in st pAUL MINNESOTA IN THE SUMMER OF 2004 HE will be missed he was the pioneer of the sport of snowmobiling rip