Team Arctic's Micah Huss Blitzes 150 Miles of Alaskan XC

(6/4/2013)

Eight and one-half minutes of Alaskan cross-country snowmobile racing from this past season, with Team Arctic's Micah Huss at the controls and flying nicely in the Skwentna 150.

Randy says:
6/4/2013 8:55:00 AM

Oh to be young again! I miss pounding the sled through that stuff!! :)
Matrick98Z says:
6/4/2013 9:54:00 AM

Makes me want to go for a ride!!!! Cant wait for winter to return.
RL says:
6/4/2013 11:01:00 AM

Pretty sketchy. Racing with all the non-racing traffic. Dog sled teams, riders coming from the other direction and what looked to be some kind of support rig? The way he was passing those Polaris Rush 600's he must of been riding a 600 sno pro or an extremely well setup 500?
Cool video! Good rider, the way he hit some of those narly bumps and the open water.
Bob V. says:
6/4/2013 11:42:00 AM

Beautiful !! Thanks for posting. Its always good to see some great footage like that during the summer. Rugged but beautiful!
Ryan W. says:
6/4/2013 1:12:00 PM

Is it Pine Lake yet? Can it be tommorrow? Very cool video, for a lower 48'r it would be hard racing at what looks like perpertual dusk lighting conditions.
Brian Hennel says:
6/4/2013 5:35:00 PM

What does it look like when played at actual speed?
Micah Huss says:
6/4/2013 7:03:00 PM

Brian,
There was no speeding up of the video of any kind! I had over 3000 miles on this race course preparing for the Iron Dog race so I knew where every ditch and bump was. Temperatures were -25 below in Big Lake and -32 below in Skwentna. Sled is a 2011 600 Sno Pro. Spent countless hours preparing and dialing in the suspension to handle as well as it does at the high speeds we run up here. We work very close and do testing for Ohlins and Renton Coil Spring (RCS) to develop our suspension packages.
Brian Hennel says:
6/5/2013 4:42:00 AM

My apologies. Something just looked funny to me. Not hearing the sled running probably threw me off. Not to mention that I'm not used to seeing the world speed by like that when I am on a sled! Well done.
Rusty says:
6/5/2013 10:58:00 AM

The lower to the ground a camera records (views) the faster it appears as "Cosine angle of error" is literally non-existent.

Try this sometime,, go 60mph riding in a 4x4 truck sometime with large tires (sitting very high off ground) viewing terrain/objects about 2-3' off of ground just off to the sides as you pass by. Then immediately run same road in lower seating car such as a Corsica or something seating you really low to the ground. The same items/terrain appears to be "flying by".

Angle of error is in direct relationship to something approaching nearly dead on vs something being looked downwards at as it then isn't close to being "direct approaching" therefore appearing slower
Micah Huss says:
6/5/2013 11:00:00 AM

Not a problem buddy. Most of our terrain is very fast like this. I spent most of my racing career (21 years) racing above the Arctic Circle in Kotzebue and Nome where AVERAGE speeds in a 220 mile race were 80+ miles an hour. Its very fast racing and you have to have your sled set up perfect in every way. It doesn't take much to get out of control and end your day or your career. I recommend anyone to come up and try it. Great fun and a lot of adrenaline!!!! Just ask Brian Dick!!! Coming up for the BIG SHOW again Brian? Have a great day guys! Keep it pinned!!!!!!
Randy says:
6/6/2013 8:05:00 AM

I remember racing the 94' I-500 when we left thunder bay we followed the river and she opened up to pure water also for about 500 yards. That was NOT fun!
MELROSEMAFIA says:
6/7/2013 7:02:00 PM

YAWNER....Just another trail ride for me. Been riding like that for almost 45 years...Burned up a lot of riding partners over the years cause I won't slow down...In da U.P. a bad day is anything under 350 miles between sun-up and sun down...BANZAAAAAAI
Tom Mahon says:
6/7/2013 7:20:00 PM

That was a thrill ride , on every kind of terrain . 10 on the entertainment scale . Had to go out to the garage to suck in some two stroke fumes !
fyi>>> Lake Placid got upto three feet over memorial day weekend ,,,
Akrider says:
8/29/2013 12:46:00 AM

Thanks for posting the video! Was the water skip across the river a short cut or part of the course? Did the Pro-R with the sled provide gas? I've watched the video three times now, thanks again for posting it, awesome!