The Course is Set! 2014 USXC Seven Clans I-500 Begins Thursday

(2/4/2014)

This Thursday begins the famed USXC Seven Clan's Casina I-500 cross-country race in Thief River Falls.

This past weekend, members of the Plummer Snowmobile Club marked the first day's course.

Racers should expect DEEP holes, FAST ditches and SERIOUS bragging rights for entering.

Plummer Snowmobile Club marks the USXC Seven Clans I-500 Route

Club Vice President Arnie Schmitz is talking with former cross-country racer Jeremy Grove. Jeremy is a valuable tool when signing the course, because of the thousands of miles he logged as a racer.

Plummer Snowmobile Club marks the USXC Seven Clans I-500 Route

How deep is the snow? Club Secretary and Arctic Cat Service Tech Brandon Vogle discovers that it’s damn-deep! David Hoffstad assists with recovery.

Plummer Snowmobile Club marks the USXC Seven Clans I-500 Route

This is looking north on Red Lake Co. Hwy 1. This same shot will look like a chiseled, whooped-to-heck groove come Thursday afternoon.

Plummer Snowmobile Club marks the USXC Seven Clans I-500 Route

Also looking north from a spot located SW of Plummer. One hundred-plus sleds will turn this into a gargantuan snow berm in just a few days.

Good luck to everyone at the I-500!

Thanks to Mike Baker for the pix.

lloyd bass says:
2/4/2014 11:41:00 AM

we are first time attending races in thief river and can' t find much info as to where to go and what is happening please if u can give us some idea of where to go to watch etc
Tom Rowland says:
2/4/2014 11:43:00 AM

I've never been able to watch a leg of the Seven Clans I-500 before, I think I am going to head north and find a good parking spot for this on Thursday. Maybe by observing I'll hone my ditch riding skills!
Mike F says:
2/4/2014 12:29:00 PM

The USXC has maps available on their website. Go to the right hand portion of the page to the schedule portion and click I-500 maps. I would highly recommend attending this event if you never have seen it. It is a race unlike any other! You will have a new appreciation as to how good the riders are!
Sven says:
2/4/2014 3:57:00 PM

USXC website like Mike F says. Also to spare you any bad luck, the shoulders of the roads are really deceiving this time of year. If your going to park on the side of the road, don't pull over too far. Use your hazard lights and enjoy the race!
fast freddie says:
2/4/2014 6:20:00 PM

They will probably cancel the last day if it gets to windy or cold or snowy like they have in the past
Sven says:
2/4/2014 6:38:00 PM

Freddie - Last year, racing was moved to Thursday, Friday, Saturday. That way if there was any weather delays on one of the days they could still have Sunday available for make-up. Looks like a cold one this year, but thats what bay windows and milk jugs are for!!!
Mike F says:
2/4/2014 8:26:00 PM

fast freddie,
That has happened once in the "modern" era. Pat Mach absolutely made the right decision, (and I was not happy about at the time!) visibility was terrible. I was there....