Snowmageddon Arrives Early and New Cat Models Announced

(10/18/2019)

The 2021 Campaign - Calling All Trouble Makers

Today is a whole new ballgame for Arctic Cat, their dealers, us as consumers, and quite frankly, the way an OEM is conducting business in the snowmobile industry! I feel like a kid again receiving the JCPenney Christmas catalog two months before the big holiday! So many toys to look at and think about so early!

I’m taking all this in like the rest of you, so I’ll start by sharing the high level look at the FIRST ROUND of new 2021 products shared with me. (More new product coming Mid-November) Next week Ill post more details about the new Snowmaggedon Sales Event details, the Exclusive Factory Accessory Packages and thought behind the "Calling All Troublemakers" campaign. I suggest you visit your local dealer for more details in the meantime. For now, enjoy the look at the initial offerings of 2021 Arctic Cat Snowmobiles:

iACT is now ATAC SUSPENSION

The iACT suspension feature has been renamed to ATAC, which stands for Arctic Technology Adjustable to Conditions. This suspension system is the most advanced in the industry and allows the rider to independently adjust the front and rear suspension in less than 0.5 seconds without ever having to take their hands off the bars. It also allows them to program to separate Driver 1 and Driver 2 settings for quicker on-the-fly adjustments. This technology is available on the following pre-released models:

• ZR 6000 137 ES LTD ATAC
• ZR 8000 137 ES LTD ATAC
• ZR 9000 137 Thundercat ATAC

2021 ZR 120 In Medium Green

ZR 120

The ZR 120 continues to deliver outstanding performance for first-time snowmobile riders. New for 2021, the front ski/shock assembly provides 5 spring adjustment settings, which can be easily adjusted by the twist of a knob as the rider grows. Adjustment allows for up to a 50% increase in stiffness from the base setting to the top most setting. The spring adjustment settings can be changed with the use of a tool available for purchase through the parts and accessories team. Part number: 0644-658

Available in Medium Green

2021 ZR200

ZR 200

A top seller and clear standout in the Arctic Cat lineup, the ZR 200, expertly built for young riders, continues to deliver outstanding performance. All 2021 ZR 200 models now come with a new front and rear ski/shock assembly, which provide 5 spring adjustment settings. Like the 120, these settings can be easily adjusted with a twist of a knob as the rider grows. Adjustment allows for up to a 50% increase in stiffness from the base setting to the top most setting. The spring adjustment settings can be changed with a tool available through the parts and accessories team. Part number: 0644-658 The rear suspension has also been redone to reduce weight by reducing the number of parts and provide a cooler, more refreshed look.

Available in Red, Dynamic Charcoal/ElectroLime and Dynamic Charcoal/Medium Green

Norseman X has Returned for 2021

NORSEMAN X 8000 Has Returned

Back by popular demand, the Norseman X has returned to the Arctic Cat line-up for Model Year 2021. It’s built to tackle any job or any task with its standard tow hitch and tunnel bag, and riding it is made even easier with the electric start feature. New for 2021, the Norseman X now comes equipped with updated 4” single carbide runners for more responsive steering, in turn making the riders feel more in control.

One of the key features of the Norseman X is the XTRA-ACTION Rear Suspension. Here’s how it works:

• The rear of the frame articulates or “tips up”. This makes it want to climb and stay on top of the snow when in reverse, vs wanting to trench in the snow.
  • Because of the rear articulation and the “floating rear,” the frame has less hard contact on the snow. This makes the sled feel shorter than it actually is and allows for improved cornering and maneuverability.
  • The suspension can be adjusted to lock or unlock the articulating portion. Unlocked provides the benefits mentioned above. Locked puts the whole suspension/track in constant contact with the snow. This provides the ultimate traction for towing or hauling loads.

Available in Fire Red

ZR 6000/8000/9000

The ZR trail models continue to deliver the ultimate trail performance. For model year 2020, we released the ARS II Front Suspension, which provides added ski pressure that creates confidence inspiring steering and increased ground clearance and a revised slide action
skid with increased front arm travel for improved big bump absorption. Those features have remained on the 2021 models. We are continuing to offer ATAC technology on the ZR 6000 137 LTD ATAC, ZR 8000 137 ES LTD ATAC, and ZR 9000 137 Thundercat ATAC.

ZR Updates for 2021:

• A revised engine mounting system utilizing a carbon fiber Torque Contol Link (TCL) brings in a 2.5lb weight savings with improved engine vibration damping.
  • Replaced the 11” dual runner carbides with 17” single runner carbides to provide more responsive steering.

2021 ZR R XC

ZR 8000 137 ES RR in Medium Green

2021 ZR 9000 Thundercat

Available ZR 9000 Models:

ZR 9000 137 Thundercat QS3 in Dynamic Charcoal

ZR 9000 137 Thundercat ATAC in Dynamic Charcoal

RIOT 6000/8000

The ultimate 50/50 crossover Riot was released for 2020. This came equipped with ARS II Front Suspension, which provides added ski pressure that creates confidence inspiring steering and increased ground clearance, new uncouple Cross-Action rear suspension to balance on-trail ski pressure with off-trail transfer and smooth bump absorption, and Pro Climb Skis with

80% more keel height compared to our trail ski for improved steering in powder and off-trail conditions. Additionally, the Riot was created with multiple track options with the Riot 8000 QS3 (1.35” or 1.6”) and standard snow/ice scratchers for cooling and lubrication.

Riot Updates for 2021:

• A revised engine mounting system utilizing a carbon fiber Torque Control Link (TCL) brings in a 2.5lb weight savings with improved engine vibration damping.

• 17” single runner carbides to provide more responsive steering.

2021 RIOT Dynamic Charcoal/Green2021 RIOT Woody's Orange/Skye Blue

Available RIOT models:

RIOT 6000 146 ES IFP 1.6" in Dynamic Charcoal/Green

RIOT 8000 146 ES IFP 1.6" in Dynamic Charcoal/Green

RIOT 8000 146 ES QS3 1.35" in Woody's Orange/Skye Blue

RIOT 8000 146 ES QS3 1.6" in Dynamic Charcoal/Green or Woody's Orange/Skye Blue

M 8000 MOUNTAIN CAT & M 8000 HARDCORE ALPHA ONE

The undisputed kings of the mountain continue to conquer the backcountry with the revolutionary ALPHA ONE single-beam rear suspension. For Model Year 2021, we’re continuing to use our industry-leading heat exchanger system, which minimizes snow build up on the chassis, running boards, and rear suspension to ensure solid footing and drastically reduces snow weight carried on the machine in the backcountry. And we’ve revised calibrations on all FOX QS3/ QSL shocks and springs for improved big bump absorption. In addition, all models come with standard Alpha snow/ice scratchers for cooling and lubrication, and a revised engine mounting system utilizing a carbon fiber Torque Control Link (TCL) brings in a 2.5lb weight savings with improved engine vibration damping.

2021 Mountain Cat Alpha One Fire Red/Dynamic Charcoal

M 8000 Hardcore Alpha One 154 3" in Hyper Green/Black or Fire Red/Black

M 8000 Hardcore Alpha One 165 3" in Hyper Green/Black or Fire Red/Black

M 8000 Hardcore Alpha One 165 ES 3" in Fire Red/Black

What. Is. This?

Bogboy says:
10/18/2019 2:06:00 PM

Disappointed...there doesn't appear to be a Bobby Flame graphic package. I'm gonna need a roller dog and a candy smoke while i digest this.
Jethrostarbucks says:
10/18/2019 2:12:00 PM

Is there gonna be no more 7000 engines available?
TCAT DOCTOR says:
10/18/2019 2:13:00 PM

LOOKS GREAT!! NOW, ALL I NEED IS MY CURRENT DEALER REINSTATED, SO I DON'T HAVE TO DRIVE 60 MILES TO THE NEXT NEAREST DEALER!!!
Johnny awesome says:
10/18/2019 2:13:00 PM

So bold new graphics and an engine mount.
Aaron says:
10/18/2019 2:23:00 PM

Good looking lineup. Strange timing on the release though? Will this help leftover model sales?
jj says:
10/18/2019 2:48:00 PM

It might help next years sales by giving more people time to think about what they want. But I can't see how it would help carry over sales at all as in now some that may have been ready to trade for a newer one to decide they like this new color so they will continue to hold out for another year.
Jeff says:
10/18/2019 2:49:00 PM

I'm a cat guy, Textron desperately needed a new model release for 2021, to come out and lay an egg by offering new graphics and a new torque link. They basically are driving cat into the ground. This should be a 2020.5, its just graphics and a $100 engine mount.

Hopefully November they have something big. Or they may be in trouble
Dulpher says:
10/18/2019 2:55:00 PM

That orange though on the RIOT!!!! Love it! I think all these graphics/colors are on point. But the orange trips my trigger! IMO. Thanks Cat...excited to see what second launch wave brings!
Toby boesch says:
10/18/2019 3:02:00 PM

I guess there is nothing new again at Cat! Bold new graphics and a few gimmick parts. Guess I will be on my Skidoo another season. I refuse to buy a sled with a chain case that is built to fail! I’m a cat guy at heart but they keep dropping the ball! We need a new chassis and chain case. Motors are good.
Kale says:
10/18/2019 3:12:00 PM

Toby boesch - If you don't like what you see here, maybe there will be something that catches your eye Mid-November when they launch the second round of products.
Josh says:
10/18/2019 3:24:00 PM

Thanks Kale for picking up this site. Exciting to see new content here. Not a ton new yet for the 2021 sleds, but I'll wait for Mid-November release. Would be interesting if they have a larger demo program throughout the whole winter for us to try these new machines out vs. hoping for snow in March after the release. I'm definitely buying something come this spring, hoping to stay with Cat, but we will see. I like that they are trying something different with the release timing and snow checks, they definitely needed to shake things up a bit.
dpach says:
10/18/2019 4:29:00 PM

Anyone else see the shadowed out pic "calling all troublemakers"? That sled appears to have a one-piece flat tunnel (not a 2 piece with a tilted tail). Also has a single middle headlamp (perhaps that is the dim and dual outside lamps will come on for bright?). Could this have revised plastics? With the narrow front end, M series front suspension/spindles, and a long lug track, it is likely a M or Riot series, but new or modified chassis?
GregW says:
10/18/2019 5:00:00 PM

Wow. I actually like every single color combination. Can’t say that’s ever been the case before. Hopefully the replace the spars with chromoly or carbon fiber to reduce weight.
Maverick says:
10/18/2019 5:40:00 PM

The best graphics i have seen on Cat in several years, i think they all look great. Let's hope there is something special mid Nov. in the motor/chassis dept???? !!!
Kevin says:
10/18/2019 6:12:00 PM

The blacked out sled is def a mtn sled with revised front spindles and alpha one skid. Tunnel looks piece flat with short snow flap.
kevin sebastian says:
10/18/2019 7:11:00 PM

I find it interesting some of the knocks on colors. Look what the other guys are putting out! I remain hopeful that something is coming that will make us all smile I bleed green!
Sledaholic says:
10/18/2019 7:27:00 PM

The shadow sled is a 200cc kids mountain sled that is the headlight that is on my daughters 200
Sledaholic says:
10/18/2019 7:33:00 PM

Or something based of the race sled but a little mountain sled would be cool
Stack says:
10/19/2019 12:19:00 AM

Thanks for the updates, I like the new colors/graphics, more to get us excited about as winter is almost here. More to come in Mid-November, Cat has some momentum ??
Snow says:
10/19/2019 2:33:00 AM

When the snowmobiles for the coming season are released, many write "now they go bankrupt" for they have no new chassis or new engine. (But people still buy the machines)
And they still survive year after year and there have been the same comments since the early 90's. :D :D :D
Ken says:
10/19/2019 5:35:00 AM

Thanks Kale. I'm a kid again at 60. My favorite time of the year is coming and Cat's catalog has come out for me to look at and dream about. It's exciting to see Cat coming out so early with new product. Cat needed to step it up in their marketing and this is a good start. I see no reason for a new chassis or engine as some have stated they need. I can't imagine, right now, how Cats could perform any better with a new chassis or engine. I've never smiled so much when I'm riding my Cats. Plus they look amazing! I'm a fan of the Thundercat. Put a Cat 2-stroke engine in there and it's mine. Can't wait to see what else might be coming out later. So pumped that this site is back. Thanks again Kale.
DaddyMac says:
10/19/2019 5:37:00 AM

The ash from my PalMal fell on my lap so all I read was ATAC, Riot and then there's that Norseman guy but with his ex, of which he had several. Winters fast approaching and I gonna need me a new whip with a minimum of a 8" riser on it.
Cory says:
10/19/2019 9:21:00 AM

I'm just happy this site is up and running again. It was a long 6 months.
Kale says:
10/19/2019 4:53:00 PM

DaddyMac- I’ve graduated from Palmal’s myself and only smoke candy cigarettes.
Snopro says:
10/19/2019 6:15:00 PM

It looks like a great lineup, I gotta feeling that orange riot looks awesome In person. I was not a fan of the early procross, but with the new front end, reverse issues fixed, it may be time to hand the 500sp down to the daughter and order one. This chassis has had 9 years of refinement and has to be the most bullet proof sled built. Thanks for taking over Kale, you jumped in just when we all needed it!
Richard Meyer says:
10/20/2019 11:54:00 AM

When can I expect a mid size mountain sled so I don't have to buy my kid a Polaris?
Marge Dunkin says:
10/20/2019 6:44:00 PM

hmmm still waiting for my 900 triple ctec 180 hp. lake runner,m rolled chaincase,in a trail chassis.
Ronald L. Parks says:
10/20/2019 7:05:00 PM

Looking Good!!! Keep it coming Cat! New line up is sharp.
Kale says:
10/21/2019 7:39:00 AM

Richard Meyer - Does Polaris have a mid-size mountain sled?
Captain says:
10/21/2019 8:23:00 AM

Kale, I believe he is referring to the RMK EVO. Which is a more compact model designed for beginner riders.
Captain says:
10/21/2019 8:25:00 AM

Looking at what's been released thus far and this has to be hands down the best graphics offerings in a long time. From top to bottom they all look great.
Glad the Norseman is back. I need to upgrade my old school Bearcat, but that will have to wait a bit.
Excited to see what else might be coming out.
Vince says:
10/21/2019 9:20:00 AM

Hey Kale, just a warning: Candy Cigarettes May Cause Cavities.
Kale says:
10/21/2019 11:08:00 AM

Captain - Forgot about RMK Evo. Good call. Ive spent some time on the Indy EVO. It's fun, but I still don't consider it a mid-size sled.

Vince - Candy cigarettes also increase your risk for pretend cancer. [sigh]
Charcoal Riot says:
10/21/2019 11:15:00 AM

The Dynamic Charcoal (panels) look lighter on the Riots compared to the Alpha and ZR 9000 models.
catman says:
10/21/2019 12:17:00 PM

Man I love the "out of nowhere" release to shock the masses. But like some others, I have to wonder how this affects the remaining stock that they are trying so desperately to get rid of. I also think that they totally could have dragged this out for a lot longer creating curiosity and excitement. It does also appear they didn't do anything crazy new with the models. I'm just trying to put myself in the marketing meeting, did someone from Textron just say "hey let's just release them now" and everyone at the table said "uhhh like right now?" ...cause that's what it seems like considering they didn't do any marketing hardly at all leading up to it. They missed a big opportunity imo.
kale says:
10/21/2019 2:49:00 PM

catman - I hear ya. This was dropped quick on everyone, which raises questions. From experience, I know they (Arctic Cat) wouldn't have released this program if they were worried about the inventory in the field. (The inventory is low) AC doesn't have to worry about selling 2020's like everyone else, and carryovers (19s and older) were low at end of last season. On the flip side, everyone on the inter webs and social media is talking about Cat right now. Good marketing?
catman says:
10/21/2019 4:10:00 PM

kale - valid point, everyone is talking about Cat right now so I'll give ya that. Maybe it's a bit of reverse marketing, no hype, just unleash it. If you are right that 19s and older inventory is low, then it would not be much of a worry since there ain't much sitting out there other than some extra 2020s that a few dealers bought. So I'll walk back my statement a bit and say maybe this bit of unconventional approach is just what is needed. We shall see. In any case, it at least let's everyone know that Cat isn't going anywhere.
Paul Nadeau says:
10/21/2019 7:04:00 PM

Thanks for the updates Kale, been a long spell without any news about Arctic Cat, The orange Riot has my interest, What about a senior citizen sled for someone my age?(66) LOL!
russ says:
10/21/2019 7:45:00 PM

Maybe they're going to be permanent on the spring order only deal. Snow check it, or don't get one. I guess it would get rid of the leftovers for good, lower floorplan costs, maybe keep used prices up a little, etc.. If they could use some of that savings to lower the sticker price a bit, like they did this season, maybe it could work. I personally, usually rely on leftovers to save cash, but if the system was structured differently, I'd have to adapt. Like the old days.
Kale, thanks for saving the site. We'll all miss John, but time marches on....I've been checking the site every week, glad it's back
TP says:
10/21/2019 9:30:00 PM

Cat isn't out of the woods yet. How they move forward is going to be interesting. Until a clear direction on both product and customer response is determined, they will still have a difficult road ahead. Their competition has made gains in market share that may be difficult to get back.
D says:
10/22/2019 8:04:00 AM

I understand now that there is a class action lawsuit filed by shareholders against Textron, and Arctic Cat in particular. Solely based on what has happened the last 3 years with leftovers and lying about market projections. Definitely not the best timing after the new sled release. I'm skeptical at best about what the future holds. You just can't have a 10 year old chassis and expect to regain any market share. They have to release something completely revolutionary to get people excited
D says:
10/22/2019 8:09:00 AM

I think I have the future of sled design that Arctic Cat needs to get to #1. Now if they would just hire me... :(
Erik the swede says:
10/22/2019 8:51:00 AM

This looks awesome.

Future is bright again for my favorite Cat and more to come in November.
New upgrades on the machines every year makes my 2017 look old. lucky for me the aluminium chassi was invented in 1966 by Cat. Can not complain to much about that.
Daniel says:
10/22/2019 11:06:00 AM

Anyone have a Norsemen? If so, any thoughts or opinions as that's the one that has me curious to know more. How versatile can it be? I would use it for around the property as well as the trails.
Justin Farrell says:
10/22/2019 4:44:00 PM

Thanks for doing this Kale. I'm not brand loyal. I just love sleds and loved what John put together here. This site always reminded me a little bit of Chris Reid's Yamaha "Sled Talk" blog. Always great passion and insight here and I'm happy it's back up and running.

I know everyone wants something new. I get it. I know new stuff brings excitement, and hopefully sales. This is my two cents. I had a chance to ride everything last spring. The Riot was an exceptional machine and a revelation. I am a trail guy and generally don't care for long track machines. The Riot was arguably the best sled I rode and I spent the whole day riding everyone's stuff back to back. The final year's of any chassis are never a bad buy. I know everyone wants new, but I have to say I was very impressed by the Riot.

Allen Teach says:
10/22/2019 6:06:00 PM

Hi Kale! Could you get us the insider information on exactly how the factory lowered the ride height of the T Cat and Sno Pro? I am the proud owner of a 2020 800 LTD and might consider lowering it, if it can be done with off the shelf parts. Have tried to get this answered from a couple large and small dealers but no luck ,so am turning to the new inside source of all Cat information!
krom says:
10/22/2019 7:31:00 PM

@Allen Teach
hard to believe no one can tell you that the thundercat is lowered by changing the springs, and shortening the limiter straps one hole (or you can buy straps from a tcat)
FWIW questions like yours are better asked on a forum. This site has one, and arcticchat is a good one as well.
Jason says:
10/22/2019 11:23:00 PM

Kale, looking for some info on the 2020 8000 motor. Cat hasn't said much about it. Why drop the dis? Why revamp and not go bigger?
Kale says:
10/23/2019 7:44:00 AM

Allen Teach - The Thundercat and Sno Pro ride heights were lowered via dual-rate ski springs and lower preload torsion springs. They still have the same dropout or extended travel as other models. Hope this helps you.
Kale says:
10/23/2019 2:29:00 PM

Jason - Quick comments on 800 engine: Dual Stage Injection (Slotted Piston) on CTEC2 800 was clean. The new 800 is cleaner, and more efficient for fuel and oil consumption. Why not go bigger? Im guessing it came down to a combination of timing, product plan and money allocation. It takes 2-3yrs to develop something new like engines, chassis, suspensions, bodywork etc. Remember reading about the Alpha skid frame when that was introduced? That was in development nearly 5yrs.
Sledaholic says:
10/23/2019 5:46:00 PM

Everyone asks why no new chassis the RMK chassis is older then the cats and just with revision same for skidoo , and cats 800 is right there in horsepower with both companies 850s so not sure what the complaining is about bikeman has Dyno videos on all and they are within a couple hp
Marco says:
10/23/2019 7:45:00 PM

I was totally shocked to see they already released 2021 this early. I agree with someone said it should have been as "2020.5" but the problem with that half-year model is that they do not manufacture the sleds till Spring of 2020 and it would be considered as 2021 already. So, that is why. Second of all, the shock was that I was not expecting anyone would do that because normally if I was a manufacturer of snowmobiles as it was my dream for 50 years (and automotive design for 50 years) comes 2023 model year that it has been about 35 years I "release a new model year in November.." roughly five months before all brands releases theirs. So, actually it was my idea long ago. Once again, I am always ahead of the game in many ideas. Just that I have no money to do so and because not much snow and people have no money these days since the 70s. Rising costs, new things (cell phones, computers, video games, rising cost of insurance, etc.)

Now, I am disappointed that they continue with the names Riot and Norseman. That is so silly to name them because they are Arctic Cat. Those names sounded like they belong on other brands. No offense. I prefer cat names. This time around, it is not exciting for me. I am sticking with what I came up with. I have a dozen distinctive concepts that all brands have not done yet. I will wait and see what they got for November but I am not focused on it. Nah.

Sorry Kale about what I said. Just an opinion.
full blown chaos says:
10/24/2019 7:23:00 AM

WHAT ?
Krom says:
10/24/2019 12:16:00 PM

What happened to the post about the change in CEO's?
B&E OUTDOORS says:
10/24/2019 2:02:00 PM

glad the site is back up ,will they be able to warranty my re coil on my 72 Puma 399 that's broke ….. we need a Artic Cat trail ambassador kind like what Levi does for the brand north east of Thief River …
jj says:
10/25/2019 12:40:00 PM

Well the site is exciting again, cat maybe up to something good here I don't know? But as one of the guys that was cut with zero answers to why, I have no love for Textron at all. We as a dealer had zero carry overs, always ordered more then the minimum that they asked us, and we were growing pretty rapidly right up until we couldn't get product this summer. But rumors of we are just killing dealers that didn't make sense in the new program is bs. When we asked the rep if our numbers were too low he said yes they are a little low for what Textron wants, but then they couldn't tell us what are numbers were. They said we should of sold more side by sides but the countless calls of us trying to get more units didn't matter. They just said transfer from another dealer. Well no dealers within 4 hours of us had anything to transfer either. Only thing that makes sense is when we were told by one of the truckers it all has to do with your location to the new tracker off road dealers. But they won't say actually say that because tracker wants to keep that hush hush. So for my selfish reasons I hope they fail and don't sell enough of these sleds and they sell out to someone else. And if that doesn't happen I've been switching spending the last 20 years switching people to cat well now I'm gonna spend the next 20 convincing them to leave. So far it seems to be easier with Textron in charge to get people to leave then it was to join.
Glad2BGone says:
10/25/2019 5:50:00 PM

I look at this snow release, and all I see is something to appease the Cat faithful. I sent links to friends and customers who had owned Cats in the past, but had moved on to Polaris or Ski Doo long ago, and, to a person, all I got in response can be paraphrased as, "Pffft". There is nothing here that will gain meaningful market share, and that is what is desperately needed.

As to the dirt division, here in the West we are heading into dune season, and still no turbo, nor a four seater. For EZ Go to say, with a straight face, that there is not enough market for a turbo or four seater is beyond laughable, and completely absurd. Camp RZR is going on at Glamis now. I invite you to dig up some coverage on youtube, etc., and view thousands of turbos and four seaters from Polaris and Can Am roaming around. And folks are already taking delivery of Honda Talon four seaters. My friend, who I met by selling him an early 2012 Wildcat, bought a Talon this Summer, and just ordered the turbo kit. Yet, the EZ Go MBA golf cart dolts just don't get it. It's easier to scapegoat their long-suffering dealers as "under-performing". You see, unlike the manufacturers, dealers can not simply send a letter to consumers demanding that they buy more products that they don't want, "or else". It is a product business, and without competitive product to sell, dealers are in a lose-lose situation.

EZ Go will have to show their hand at some point with this underhanded doublespeak nonsense they have been pulling. My regards to the poor dealers still trying to tough it out.