Great news for those looking for a practical, utility-minded side-by-side: Arctic Cat has redesigned its popular Prowler HDX 700 XT EPS for 2015 (actually, they’re calling them 2016 models, but they’re at dealerships and available now), with a complete facelift in addition to some sweet new features. The facelift on the HDX models is consistent with the new automotive-like styling that appeared on the other Prowler models for 2015.
Here’s the skinny:
* All-new hood, bodywork and console for greater usability and ergo’s
Ignore the unavailable red color. Otherwise, this is exactly what the new hood storage space is like.
* New automotive-style hood features a larger, more usable 3.0-cu.-ft. (22.4 gal.) under-hood storage space than the previous 2.5-cu.-ft. space. The hood has an auto-style latch as well as an integrated prop for keeping it open. Weather-resistant sealing and simplified access to the headlight adjusters, brake reservoir and radiator are icing on the cake.
* All body panels are made from Surlyn, a premium quality plastic with molded-in color.
* New full-variable tilt steering offers greater overall range and infinite adjustability. Plus the new design proves 3 in. additional legroom in the full-up position.
* New dash layout features a larger 2.3-gallon glove compartment, plus a rubberized center dash cubby that’s perfect for placing your annoying cell phone. Add in the side storage boxes and the new HDX delivers 42.75 gallons of storage space. (Again, ignore the red color. Sorry.)
* New headlight system includes dual-halogen setup with an LED light bar
* The new closed-loop EFI system employs an oxygen sensor that’s part of the engine management system. The result is an improvement in fuel economy by up to 25 percent, plus a 33 percent reduction in emissions.
* A sound reduction system drops the operational sound by 8 dB, which is a HUGE improvement. Talking with a passenger while riding just got way easier.
* Improved occupant entry/exit with 3.25 in. more shoulder room and lower profile foot restraints.
The signature features that have made the HDX a popular utility machine remain: the big 56 x 42.5-in. tilting cargo box (and the ability to convert it into a flatbed) with a hefty 1,000-lb. payload; 3-occupant front bench seating; pressure-adjustable FOX FLOAT coil-over rear shocks; 2/4-WD with electric front differential lock; easy-going Electronic Power Steering; and automatic CVT with hi/low range, reverse and park.
The HDX 700 XT EPS is available in green, black and camo with a U.S. MSRP of $13,999. And yes, they’re available now at Arctic Cat dealers.
Thanks for reading. Now get to work.