The Original Boss Cat I was a... Ditch Banger?

(6/7/2013)

Arctic Cat Boss Cat I in TRF

Special thanks to Arctic Cat collector Tom Ische for sending this new (to my eyes) photo.

The turbine-powered Arctic Cat Boss Cat I was reported to produce 1000 hp and ran 126 mph. Probably not 126 mph in the Hwy 32 ditch south of Thief River Falls, but one has to wonder just how fast the boys went when they lit the wick on this baby? Maybe even more interesting... what kind of holy-crapeth thoughts went through the heads of unsuspecting motorists?

This amazing snowmobile was one of three outstanding efforts by Arctic Cat to set World Speed Records in the early 1970s. It also infamously nearly killed Team Arctic racer Dale Cormican at Boonville, New York, in 1972.

Arctic Cat Boss Cat I in TRF

Photo of Cormican (left) and sled designer/builder Dennis Ray

Arctic Cat Boss Cat

CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO on the Boss Cat I (it will take you to BossCatLegacy.com) and it's later brethren.

Tom Rowland says:
6/7/2013 6:51:00 PM

Those Boss Cats are awesome...they could have been used in one of the Batman movies and fit the theme perfectly! I never get tired of seeing historical old images like this, thanks for sharing Tom. Is that image south on 32, or, headed south on 59 North near the old race shop (and present day Special Services)?
Mike F says:
6/7/2013 8:10:00 PM

Sweet old image! I believe that is headed north on 32 south of the factory, but don't quote me as I was 5 at the time!
The CAT KID says:
6/8/2013 8:45:00 AM

Tom, I think Catman and Robin would be fitting!!!!!!
RL says:
6/8/2013 10:21:00 AM

Holy crapeth Batman.
Looks like the work of Mr. Freeze.
To the Bat snowmobile.
S.K.LEPINNET says:
6/8/2013 7:04:00 PM

Nothing like some good ole Arctic Cat history to remind you where your faith came from
s.t.i.c.s.9 says:
6/8/2013 9:25:00 PM

The guy in the '70 Chevelle is damned near ready to run into the ditch as he watches this thing go past!
s.t.i.c.s.9 says:
6/8/2013 9:27:00 PM

.... or is it an El Camino?
deb 49 says:
6/10/2013 10:11:00 AM

I believe the location is north of the current salvage building on 59 north.The boss cat building and field test/eng building would have been to the left ,out of the pic.
stevo says:
6/11/2013 11:48:00 AM

Dude we need a higher quailty pic so we can figure out where it was taken. Any old timers out there chime in and help.
mikeBeaty says:
6/22/2013 7:33:00 AM

My dad and I were at Boonville when it blew up and caught on fire ' since we were both firemen we rushed over and l pulled Dale out of the ****pit.l still have a piece of the fiberglass body somewhere what a explosion and conclusion it was pretty scattering
Carissa Ray says:
2/13/2015 7:12:00 PM

Dennis "Denny" Ray is my great grandpa, we have original photos and an original model of his car, the red interior and black outing. My mother tells me stories and she got to drive in that exact car with my grandpa around the block, sadly he died before I was born, I wish I met my grandpa , but I have my grandma, his daughter, Debby Ray, to tell me all the interesting things about him. <3