I was surfing Craigslist and ran across this 1979 Arctic Cat ElTigre Cross Country that looked familiar. Turns out it is, as it has been featured many times on ArcticInsider posts. This is John Sandberg’s El Tigre (Host of this site before me) that was built from the ground up, and raced in the 2011 I500 vintage class. Ive ridden this snowmobile several times and IMO, it is the ultimate vintage ripper and worth every penny. This SOLD this morning, but if you are interested in learning more about it, click on the links in the story. No word if Sandberg gave the new owner a can of sardines with the purchase… – Kale
Fully Modernized and Rebuilt
Ready to Ride, Race, and/or Display
This is 1 of 3 machines fully rebuilt and updated with modern parts to compete in the 2011 vintage I-500 cross-country race event. It was rebuilt by myself and legendary Team Arctic racer/engineer Brian Nelson.
The list of work and updates to this machine is extensive. Below are the highlights:
* NOS 1987 Suzuki 440cc liquid-cooled engine (brand new engine, added after the 2011 race)
* Modern Arctic Cat primary and secondary clutches
* Wilwood hydraulic disc brake
* Modern Arctic Cat chaincase
* Modern 116-in rubber track, modern track drivers, belts, new driveshaft and jackshaft
* FOX shocks front and rear
* New seat foam, seat cover
* Larger 8-gallon fuel tank
* Lightweight, new 1980s-style fiberglass hood (the original 1979 hood is also included in the sale, in excellent condition)
* New skis, with plastic ski-skins
* Added handlebar heaters and thumb warmer
This sled was completely torn down to the bare chassis and rebuilt, repainted, and updated with all new hardware, bearings, wiring, etc..
Sled is in perfect condition. Could be ridden, raced, or displayed at vintage shows.
I rode it 3-4 times after the 2011 races, and it’s been stored indoors ever since. 1,600 miles total on sled, of which approximately 350 occurred after the complete rebuild.
You can read the full story of this machine chronicled on ArcticInsider.com here:
Part 1:Getting Ready for the I500
Part 2:Getting Ready for the I500
Part 3: Brian Nelson Cross Country Cat Update
This amazing machine needs to be on snow, ridden, seen, and enjoyed by someone else.
Thanks for looking.